![]() |
| Janet, Laurie, Linda and Mary Ann---Chip and The Temp-Etts |
Shades of college days....having fun in public! During the 60s I was a member of a college soul/rock/R&B band called the Cheshire Cats. I did vocals and enjoyed performing cover music from professional artist and artist groups. One song in particular was my favorite-'My Girl' by the Temptations. What this has to do with my winter stay here in the valley is that I went on a comeback tour. Well, a mini tour. We held a talent show at the park and I revived the old days my performing this all time popular number again. This time my backup music was canned and my back up group was composed of four great women from the park. I did the vocals live and choreographed classic Temptation steps for the ladies. We worked hard and placed second amongst the fifteen acts in the show. It was a blast! But, I will tell you that having to deal with a truck load of variable estrogen for 6 days was a memorable experience.
I got a call from my friend Fran saying she had an extra ticket to the Ballet Folkorico at the University of Texas Pan American. This ballet featured live Mexican music performed by an energetic student dance company dressed in very colorful costumes. The nearly two hour show featured chanting, mariachi, fast footwork and swirling dresses of various native Indian, Spanish and Mexican cultures. There was on particular presentation in which the music and dance blended the indigenous cultures of Spanish, Cuban and African influence. It was high energy with a soulful influence. Wow! I for sure will seek this dance ensemble out in future visits.Thanks Fran!
I was reminded of the timeline today in church.
This Sunday was 'Winter Texas Appreciation' Day. Pastor Denice recognized all of us adopted Texans that serve and worship in this congregation during the winter. A luncheon was prepared for us by the resident worshipers. But I must say that having a church home, when on the road, blesses me as well.
Daytime temperatures for the last week have been in the 80s and forecast to remain that way for a few more days. I am now looking at the calendar and selecting those last warm weather activities I want to do while prepping for the road. I have a short list. All is subject to change as usual! Stay tuned.


Your talent show performance sounds like a lot of fun, Chip. Enjoy your last week in Texas, for this year that is. I know you look forward to being a Winter Texan again next year. DS
ReplyDelete