Wednesday, June 13, 2012

This is the May Posting...back to Virginia and other southern climes

Daisy and me  in our  robes.






It is May and cap and gown time at Virginia Tech, and we are all decked out! But there is a story to this as you might expect. 42 years ago, I was serving as an officer in the USAF and was unable to participate in my own graduation with the Class of 70. My diploma came in the mail and was put away in a dusty corner. Now advance a few decades.  I happen to be on campus and there is a special visitor who is to give the commencement address for the class of 2012.
Michelle Obama


So Daisy asked me if I would like to be there, and not wanting to hurt her feelings, I of course said yes. Now there were going to be about 5,000 graduates and maybe 30,000 in attendance, so I am looking for my binoculars. Ms. Daisy informs me that as a faculty member, she would like to sit with the faculty, and I could too. So to make a long story short, I robed up and as Pomp and Circumstance was being played by the university orchestra, I marched in with the faculty and was seated 20 yards from Mrs. Michelle Obama. I was on the front row in the center. It was an emotional moment for me to be in the stadium and to march in a graduation exercise (even if not my own). It was somehow healing. An Angel by the name of Daisy made that happen.







One of the ceremonies we attended was a reception for the master's and doctoral graduates.  Daisy and I attended to honor the students she had assisted and there was a special surprise.
Sue, Director of the SOE, presented Daisy with a gift in honor of her retirement after 32 years of service.

Daisy received a standing ovation, and in her remarks introduced me as the reason for her retirement! Talk about pressure...

Another reason for this May trip was to visit some more of Daisy's friends, not in Virginia. So we made our way to North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. Many were educators she had worked with or taught at Virginia Tech. They would be coming to the wedding, but most likely we would have only a few minutes to spend with them. The trip was made to have more time for me to get to know them, and vice versa. (It is highly probable that they wanted to make sure that Daisy was doing the right thing.)


We stopped and visited the Airborne Museum in Fayetteville, NC. My sisters Pam and Debbie live in this town and we had dinner with them.

In the Airborne Museum is one display of personal interest. It features the "Triple Nickles". The Triple Nickles was the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion, and America’s first African-American paratroop unit. They had spent the war years in a segregated army that ordinarily allowed African Americans only the noncombatant jobs of support staff. The Nickles, however, were a combat unit officered by African Americans. Although they never saw the overseas combat they trained for, they made a huge contribution to the armed services in a special way. My connection is that they were trained in 1945 to combat forest fires. They were the first black smoke jumpers and made over 1200 jumps that year combating fires often started by Japanese gas balloons. I have gone into fires by helicopter, foot and boat. But to jump from a perfectly good airplane.... wow. The interesting thing is that their role was kept a military secret.

Cheryl and Bret introduced us to the historic “keeping room” in their home.











Dennis and Kathy want us to come back for lots of dancing.

Bill and Betty took us on a lake cruise in an all-electric boat.


I have not had the opportunity to attend any of my siblings’ kids’ college graduations. This time I did. My niece Allison graduated from college, and Daisy and I attended. It's special in that she is just 17 years old. They make them smarter these days. Yea for Mark and Denise, and of course Allison herself!

Proud Parents and Graduate








The marriage countdown clock is running for July 14, 2012 at 1 PM  in Blacksburg, VA.

I am now back in Arkansas doing the final finishing touches to the house to prepare for Daisy's arrival.

  • The storage room is completed and I have already emptied one bedroom of furnishings into it.  
  • The arrangements have been made to donate my living room furnishings and laundry facilities to a worthy organization. 
  • Shelving has been erected for more storage in the garage.
  •  A mail box has been installed on the curb.  
  •  I am ready! I think.




This is my last blog of this series as a single man. It has been a good run but there are more adventures to come as a married couple.

"Come Go With Us"

No comments:

Post a Comment