 |
| Wonder if we need to tie our hair together? |
|

We visited a number of interesting historical landmarks in addition to the
WWII ones that were of special interest to me. There are remains of Spanish
buildings and stone bridges and forts that date back to the 1600s. We also
spent some time at ‘Two Lovers’ Point.” I collect stories and according to
island folklore, two ill-fated lovers who had been forbidden to marry, escaped
to this cliff, tied their hair together and then leaped to their deaths rather than
accept the decision of the chief that his daughter should marry a Spanish ship captain.
Oh, what we will do for love!
 |
| Flower-child I am |
And there are still lots of jungles on Guam to explore, but we didn’t have much
time for that. Hiking here is called “boonie
stomping.” The trails go through lush vegetation, by scenic falls and natural
pools, and around cliff walls. I did tour some undeveloped hilly terrain
adjacent to a golf course and an upper end residential area. On it I was shown
the locations of actual tank relics from WWII.
 |
| Look in the upper left hand corner |
 |
| Sherman Tank |
Daisy was busy doing work assignments for several days and evenings. During that time I explored the Tumon Bay
area. I viewed the hotels, restaurants, bars,
beaches, and chapels. I found it intriguing to discover that Guam is a world
renowned marriage destination for couples across Asia. On Tumon Bay there are
at least 6 highly developed picturesque chapels and wedding facilities of
various sizes. While we were there, wedding ceremonies occurred every day all
up and down the beach front and in these chapels.
 |
| Inside of one chapel |
 |
| Models |
 |
| Outside of same chapel |
 |
| Bride and sandy feet |
 |
| Wedding party limo |
One day, from our beach
lounges, we counted 4 weddings in one spot! One was simplistic with only a pastor
in white robe and red stole, bride, groom, and witness. Another was elegant with 40 plus people, red
carpet, music, and multiple attendants, all attired in white. The tropical
surroundings and natural beauty made for lots of romantic magic and lifetime
memories
 |
| cheers |
On the non-beach side, there were Vegas-style dinner shows, bars, nightclubs,
and other local hotspots with live music for dancing. With Daisy’s work team,
we also went to a local cultural dinner show that highlighted the history of
the island in song and dance and music.
We grilled our own meal of seafood, meats, and veggies ...
 |
| Grilled pork-beef-seafood-vegetables |
 |
| Cheryl, Kathy, and Maureen: more of the team |
... while island
drums and ukuleles beat out a tantalizing rhythm for fire dances and beautiful
islanders in grass skirts with coconut bras.
 |
| Entertaining use of coconuts |
 |
| Tropical beauty |
 |
| Handsome Islander |
We even danced at one night spot
that had older Chamorro musicians playing old school rhythm and blues. Another
night we found a neighborhood microbrewery that served fresh pepper-coated Ahi
Tuna.
 |
| The black, white and islander band had a fiddle, mandolin, and alto sax in it. |
 |
| Flat-footing for the locals |
 |
| Daisy and friend dressed for the Uptown |
Did I mention food?
.
 |
| "Beggar's Purse filled with Ahi Tuna |
|
 |
| Ribeye over Bok Choy/Potatoes |
|
I especially must talk about the evening meals that we shared. Daisy and
I both like fresh indigenous meals prepared by hand and not out of a
box. In Guam you can count on having tasty beautifully prepared meals
 |
| Scallops with Herb Sauce |
 |
| Balsamic Beef Salad |
 |
| Mushroom Lasagna Rollups |
 |
| Coconut Chocolate Bread Pudding |
 |
| Steamed/Raw Oyster Appetizers and Australian Wine |


The only time I felt under-dressed was while
shopping at the dozens of luxury name-brand boutiques with duty free wares.
There was a solid block, three floors high, of high-end retailers of leathers,
clothing, jewelry, accessories, perfumes, and cosmetics. The sales staff wore cocktail
dresses and suits.
End part II of III
No comments:
Post a Comment