Monday, December 19, 2011

A Visit to Tropical Guam Part III of III



This is the last entry for the Guam journal. If you have not read the previous two parts first, just scroll on down for Guam Parts I and II.



A tropical beauty it is...




Remember at the beginning of the blog I mentioned that one of the reasons for accepting Daisy’s invitation to go to Guam was to do a “special thing.”


On Friday, December 9, with the trade winds lightly blowing scattered clouds aloft in the moon-lit sky, the Philippine Sea waves gently sounding in the bay, and tree frogs noisily chirping in the tropical green environment surrounding the tall cascading water fountain...I took a knee, opened a ring box, and asked Daisy L. Stewart to marry me. She said yes!

Big grins all around!





(click on photo to get a better view)
Unique engagement ring for an equally unique lady. 




We went to a dance to celebrate after a romantic dinner of Australian wine and reef fish over bok choy.
This is especially appropriate since we met on a dance floor over one year ago.

This is a truly special place for this new beginning for us both.


But before I wrap this up, I promised to leave a few special recipes for the local island cuisine that we tasted and enjoyed.

Some of my most memorable time was spent salivating over the local foods. Though simple dishes, they reflect the complex history of the Micronesian archipelago's Hispanic-Asian-influenced native culture. I met this Chamarro chef at a fiesta we attended. She willingly shared with me and now I will do so with you!

Some of my favorites include:
Creamed Spinach in coconut sauce

Roasted pig


·         Red rice:  This is a seasoned blend of rice and spices colored with annatto seeds from the achote plant. It was the Spanish that introduced achote to the island.  When soaked in water with the rice, this plant releases an orange color. To this mixture is added bacon, onion, and garlic.

·          Chicken Kelaguen: This dish has chopped chicken meat (and I did have it with shrimp and beef as well) with lemon juice, salt, grated coconut, and red hot peppers. I will share this recipe at the end. Oh, and they do make this with Spam as well. (Spam is another staple here as a result of WWII, and there is a special spicy version that is sold only in Guam.)

·         Chamorro barbecue: This is either beef, chicken, or ribs marinated in a soy sauce and rice vinegar mixture then seared on an open grill over charcoal. The locals serve it with Finadenne’ sauce.

·         Finadenne’ sauce: This is the basic condiment used in all Chamorro cuisine. It is a mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice or rice vinegar, chopped white onion, and fresh chili peppers. I loved it so much I persuaded a local Chamorro chef to give me the basic recipe which I will share later.

·         Baked and steamed fresh reef fish and shellfish of all kinds.

·         Oh and for dessert, the southern Red Velvet cake appears everywhere. It almost is a staple.


BTW, I did not lose any weight during this adventure.


And now for a couple of recipes as promised...


Finadenne’ dipping sauce
The locals use this on everything...its very good. Try it.
Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup white vinegar (or juice from 2 lemons)
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup chopped green or white onions
  • 3 small red peppers, crushed 
Directions
Combine all ingredients and stir. Serve this sauce with any Chamorran meal. It can be spooned over food or used as a dipping sauce.

Kelaguen



A pickling marinade of lemon juice, fresh coconut, green onions salt and red chilies is used to marinate cooked chicken. Raw shrimp, fish or beef. With the exception of the cooked chicken, the acids in the marinade “cook” the shrimp, fish or beef instead of heat. Serve cold or at room temperature and eaten as is or over rice, or wrapped in a warm corn or flour tortilla with finadenne on the side as a sauce.

Ingredients: (chicken keleguen)
  •   Whole chicken 
  •   1 coconut, drained and meat grated (or use fresh pkged meat not the dry stuff
  •   2 lemons, juiced
  • 1 bunch chopped green onion
  • 3 tbsp dried red pepper flakes
  • salt to taste
Directions:

Preheat and roast chicken @ 375 degrees for 1 hour until leg moves easily in socket.  Cool slightly. Remove and discard skin and bones. Chop meat and combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss. Make sure lemon juice and salt  and pepper flakes do not over power the other.

I hope you will try these....

Christmas is coming and

"All good things must come to an end" they say. And so this adventure.

 


After 12 days in this tropical paradise, our flight to the US mainland was uneventful, just long. We had to go 4 hours to Tokyo first and then connected to a 12 hour flight to Houston. Once in Houston, Daisy headed northeast back to VA, and I caught a commuter flight south to my winter home. 

My internal clock is just now getting re-adjusted to the central US time zone. 




Merry Christmas from Guam
Nothing like bare feet, beach and blue sky to begin or end a blog
Adios (which is goodbye in Chamorran, adopted from the Spanish).






No comments:

Post a Comment