 |
| Laurie,Mel,Bev,Jan, Pam Marketeers |
 |
| "Almost free today" |
What do winter Texans do when the sun and heat return? Fiesta and Shop, that's what. After our second multiple day periods of 20 degree temperatures, we here in the resort were primed to go do something FUN! A bunch of lady shoppers sought me out as a companion for a monthly artists/craft market companion. They were not to surprised that I wanted to go with them and off to Edinburg we trotted. Now what I did not realize is that these were skilled shoppers that like to get there early, visit all booths and touch everything. Descending on the crafts and items en mass, haggling with the vendors and consulting with your peers on prospective purchases are the processes of the day. I lasted for 2 hours before noticing a history museum across the square that called for me to venture in. I could not stay long because the ladies informed me that in the afternoon we were all going to Mexico to have lunch and drink. So I took a short sabbatical to the museum. Got their hours of operation and a quick run through for a future dedicated visit in the days to come.
 |
| Street Musician and Dentist vendor on vocals |
 |
| Buddy Ed @ bar-ber shop |
We returned to the resort, refreshened our passenger loads (picked up the significant others (smarter men) that had stayed behind and off we went to our favorite watering and shopping holes in Mexico. We were not the only gringos that decided to venture there that afternoon. the sidewalks were crowded with touristas looking for dentist, medicines, trinkets, food, libations and fun. You can buy drinks and walk the streets with them in your hand as you shop or even get a haircut. Most eating places have music for your dancing pleasure and I managed to get tagged to dance by someone not in our party as we entered the "Red Snapper". For $1.50 I got 2 margaritas (I was not the designated driver this time) and my lunch meal of chicken fried steak with mash potatoes, rice and refried beans set me back $4.99.
 |
| Jan shagged me at entrance for a Swing |
 |
| Laurie and Bev shake a little |
We shopped our way back to the border, declared our purchases to US Customs Officers (while showing our passports) and located our vehicles that we had left on the US side of the border. And by the way, the border patrol folks do not have a sense of humor so one must act accordingly. Those who had booze purchases had to stop and pay Texas state tax. It amounts about $1.25/quart. Then we returned the 22 miles to our park. The sun was still out. The weather was still warm so the hot tub felt very nice on tired aging feet. As they say, a good time was had by all.
For those who are counting, I have two weeks left before I head North.....
Yes, it does sound like everyone enjoyed the day, Chip. I'm sure you are having mixed feelings about leaving south Texas and heading north.
ReplyDeleteThis has been a great experience being here this winter. So good that I am planning to return next winter too!
ReplyDelete