Friday, March 11, 2011

Talk about an environmental shock!

Feet in the sand pic for Arlene

The isolated beaches of South Padre Island

On March 1 I left the western end of the Rio Grande Valley on my Spring time journey northward. My destination is Eureka Springs Arkansas with a few day layover in my favorite city in Texas-San Antonio.


Several days before I left I may my final journey to the beaches of South Padre Island and to Mexico for one last fiesta.


Cervesa mi amigos!

I said goodbyes to my new found snowbird family.  It was 86 degrees when my Ford, hitched again to my home on wheels, headed out from the Valley on my 903 mile journey to Arkansas.  It was an easy 216 mile trip to SA where I held up in familiar spaces with people I know. My thanks to Dave and Twyla, Jerry and Jackie, Jim and Mary, Mike and Mickey, Rita and Bob for hosting me again. I will return in late Fall. 
 It was a special joy to reconnect with Jane and Ed, classmates from Va Tech, that I have seen last October at a 40th college reunion in Virginia.

There was a 10 degree temperature difference here than down in the Valley. But the sun was out as I departed SA with 76 degree promises of warming weather for the day there. As I passed through Dallas-Ft Worth a shadow of darken clouds shrouded the horizon where I was going.  Oklahoma City and the Fire Lake Casino was my stop planned for the night. Dave told me that they have full hookup sites that are free to Casino Player card holders.  Sounded good to me! All I had to do was go and register for a players card.  Normally I only travel 300 miles when pulling. However I wanted to make this a two day trip. The roads were dry.  The winds were light and on my tail.


After 503 miles I pull into the Fire lake lot and found the 16 RV sites. Remember that I left SA wearing shorts and Tee-shirt.  When I stepped out of the truck to back into my site, the temps were now in the low 40s with strong NW winds. My first thoughts were I am still going further North in the morning! I am questioning my sanity. I hooked up to electric only and glad I did. with wind chill the outside temps were in the low 20s. I ate, turned on the furnace and also managed to make a small donation to the slot machine gods before retiring for the evening. 

 The next morning I dug out my long pants and winter wear for the final leg to Arkansas. This final 225 mile stretch was marred by moderate head winds and a very bumpy I-40 roadway. Upon arrival in the Holiday Island Campground I discovered shifted and broken dishware (minor) and opened door cabinets with spilled contents.  The water is not on yet due to freezing temps but the electric is. It doesn't matter in that for the next 5 weeks I will be staying in my house doing cleaning, painting and maintenance. They say that an early Spring is coming.....I sure hope that groundhog was right!

West Spring time view
North Spring time view


NW Spring time view. Budding just starting!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the view's from your deck. Kind of made me home sick!!
    Was so nice to talk to you again.
    I plan on coming your way Wed. Let me know if that works with your plans so I can say hi!
    Hope all is still going good there
    Bye now hope to see you Wed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love visitors....Well most of them anyway. Looking forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete