Tuesday, October 18, 2011

October VTCC and Family Reunions

I thought that I would start this blog off with a tasty fall meal that I prepared while in Va.  Recipe is at the end of the blog.

It is Fall and that means football and family get-togethers before the snow flies. However, I have one more major project to do on the house before I leave for the winter months.  That is to expand the size of my air-conditioned storage room in the basement. I have two skilled golfing buddies who will tackle the task with me and we scheduled a block of time when there are no renters in the house on Table Rock Drive.  I then had down time to go to Virginia and spend time with Daisy and siblings before doing that remodeling and heading south to Texas.
We had great weather and success at the first ball game, but the second game was cold and we lost...bummer!

The road trip back to Blacksburg, Virginia was uneventful ( if you do not consider an Interstate 64 Bridge that closed the day before I got on the road- caused an 1-1/2 hr detour) with dry pavement all the way. I had prearranged to take in two football games, a VTCC (VA. Tech Corps of Cadets) ‘D’ Squadron reunion, and a College of Natural Resources Reunion. While in Blacksburg Daisy and I would also attend an NAACP Fall Banquet. 
My brother Mark (who does not smile for my pics) and niece Allison joined us at the banquet.


To this we add dinners with new people who wanted to check me out, a play,  reconnections with classmates and Tom, the lead guitar player of a band (the "Cheshire Cats") that I sung with in college and my brother Mark also lives there. We were busy. 
Dr Hosner and Dr Smith  from my time
Department of Forestry it was called

Two college reunions occurred while I was in Blacksburg.  The College of Natural Resources and Environment and Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets held activities that we attended.


In the late 60s I was part of the 'Skipper' Gun Crew.  These new members liked talking to this old gun crew member.

Above and below are images of D squadron members from years past
John, Dave, Cary and me. I cropped the pic above our Buddha bellies!

The VTCC alumni gathered and marched onto the field with 66,000 people in attendance.  I was on the 30 yard line. As the colors were presented and the national anthem played, we rendered a salute and a USAF C-17 cargo aircraft buzzed the stadium. It was an emotional moment for me and the other veterans in formation on the field.




I had not been on the field since I was commissioned in 1970. The noise level is something to behold.
We stopped in Petersburg so I could introduce Daisy to Mom and Dad




The next day, Daisy and I managed to take a brief trip to Fayetteville, NC and drop in on Sisters Pam and Debbie.  Sister Kaye (who also does not like to smile for my pictures) met us there. We only spent an overnight and the next day journeyed to Winchester, Va. to see Brother Bruce and Sister Angel. Daisy has not retired yet.  We are looking forward to being able to spend longer times with family and friends as we travel across the nation in the near future.

I got the girls to smile by telling them to imagine me naked.
The Flemings had no trouble grinning.



My Nephew DeJaun and family came to see us.





Sister Kaye and Gary came down from Petersburg.







In Winchester we connected with Brother Bruce's Family.








My sister Angel, brother-in-law Donny and their crazy kids made this trip as memorable as ever! I love them all.



One surprise I had was a quick visit from my first "wife"!  Willa Maye and I were in a marriage pageant when we were 5 years old. I was the groom and she the bride. The wedding party had over 20 groomsmen and bridemaids! Sorry about that lapse in marriage memory Daisy!


Patty and Sharon and their husbands. The ladies were her former students.


Back in Blacksburg I met more of Daisy's friends and relatives.
Cousin Jean joined us for a play and dinner



Of course we found a winery with several varieties to taste!


As promised.....

Chip's  Seafood Chowder

1 tablespoon olive oil 
1 medium bulb fennel (anise) thinly sliced (2 cups)

1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
5 cups water
2 cups vegetable broth  
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 package (about 10 ounces) or can of  whole baby carrots, thawed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 pounds fresh or thawed frozen firm white fish fillets  cut into 2-inch pieces (cod is good)
1/2 pound fresh large shrimp, shelled and deveined
3/4 pounds mussels (about 12), well scrubbed and beards removed
Pinch of course ground black pepper
Pinch of Sea Salt

Directions:

Heat the oil in a 6-quart sauce pot over medium heat. Add the fennel, onion and Italian seasonings and cook until they're tender. Stir the water, broth, soup and carrots in the sauce pot and heat to a boil.
Add the fish. Discard any open or cracked mussels. (when you tap on open mussels and they do not close, toss them). Add the shrimp and mussels. Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork, the shrimp are pink and the mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open. Sprinkle with black pepper, salt and green fennel tops.  Yummy!


Back to Arkansas...
Nearly three weeks later, the trip back to Eureka Springs was on I-40 to avoid the still closed I-64 bridge. I encountered a light rain and snow flurries in Western VA. and a Memphis TN. highway patrol cop that delayed my forward progress. No, I was not speeding. He pulled me over and stated that he thought I might be driving under the influence of something since my wide-assed one ton truck was tracking too perfectly to the solid white shoulder lane line. Go figure. (I think he was looking for someone and I had the big white dually and right complexion. Both he and his partner had their hands on their guns). There was an abundance of patrol cars with two officers in each as I made my way around the city. I always got a second look when I past them by. I decided to stop for the night after I crossed over into Arkansas.

In the beginning there was a big  hole
then there were studs on a floor...
Well, I am back at the house and the remodeling addition is well underway which will keep me out of harm’s way for a few weeks. I still have a few renters to work around. The electrician and the ducting folks have done their thing. I hope to have the sheetrock mudded, taped and sanded before I depart mid November for San Antonio, Tx.
half filled walls...
now they are insulated and covered walls







(click on the pic to enlarge this)
When I got back to Holiday Island, my long time buddy Carol informed me that the quilt she had been lovingly making was done and to come get it! She informed me that it has taken her 5 years to finally get it finished.  It is just gorgeous. Now I have to figure out a way to display her great work and I will.

Time to end this entry...

The nights are getting chillier here in NW Arkansas.  Time to make plans for the journey south. But there is more to come here. 
"SEE YA
You are welcomed to come take the empty chair...

2 comments:

  1. Well my friend, you certainly seem to be enjoying the life of a retired gentleman! Great pictures and great company. Looking forward to your visit to South Texas this winter.

    EDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting cooler here...Looking forward to South Texas and fun!

    ReplyDelete