Monday, May 2, 2011

Shannon and her 'Boys' in Arkansas

Mr Levi and domino stacking
Josiah at his best
On Good Friday the Miskowskis came to visit this old man. It was fantastic. I was finishing up the Spring prep work on the house for rental when they turned in the driveway. This was a good reason to celebrate with their visit. I was a little concerned in that the weather forecast was for a series of strong thunderstorms on a daily basis that might keep us house bound. I had already been told by 5 year old Josiah that he wanted to go to the lake and skip rocks again like I had taught him before! Little 2 year old Levi did not have any preferences.  He wanted to do whatever his big brother did on the "big Wa-wa (lake)".  (Josiah was my translator).

Of course Levi was very shy about meeting me at my real house until Josiah decided  to break the ice by playing pile on Pop-pop and wrestle. So, when ever I was on my hands and knees the boys were on me.  They liked to tickle and be tickled.
And where you might you ask were the parents during these turbulent and noisy times? Letting grandpa have quality time while they chilled! They are addicted to their iPhone. (I might want one too!)

I promised the boys that they could help me do two things on Saturday.  Yep, since the Easter Bunny was coming and there needed to be an egg hunt we had to color eggs. But to minimize possible coloring accidents, I limited the area of creativity to the stainless steel sinks. The hardest thing to monitor was that Levi wanted to and did stick his fingers into the dyes and wipe and drip on the next available item, people, floors and counter tops.


After we had fun doing that I had them help me make the Easter desert. My favorite is a banana-strawberry pudding with vanilla wafers. Levi did very well at placing the cookies side by side using the formula: one for the dish and one for my mouth.  Josiah liked to use the throw-the-sliced-berries-and-bananas-into-the-bowl-in-piles method.  I was informed that his way was better than the layering method Pop-pop wanted to use! It all tasted great in the end.

Yummy



After these two hands-on activities,  I needed a nap in the rocker and Levi decided I needed company and a drink!
"Suck it Pop-pop" he says.

We all had a great time attending church, playing games and eating a ham dinner that I prepared in the crockpot with yams and the classic green bean casserole and baked rolls as fixings.  We did however spend almost all the time inside due to the 16 inches of rain we got during their visit.  They left on Monday morning and by the time they got home flash flood warnings were abundant here. My house is safely above the flooding zone.

Note these pictures.

This is the day after we all stood inside this fishing structure
We stood and skipped rocks 8 feet below this level

A good time was had by all. Shannon called to tell me that when the family drove up to their house Monday afternoon, Levi cried and declared to his parents that he would rather be at Pop-pop's house.  I am smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment