Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Its the Eve before Christmas Eve and back at the RV Resort....

I am back at my RV looking for the Ibuprofen bottle. It is 84 degrees and I just got back from playing my first game of water volley ball.   We had a Christmas dance last night here in the park. The band played a mixture of western/ranchero/oldies music. This time I did not lack for having dance partners. I was no longer the new kid but an accepted member of this community. I had fun and was invited to poolside today for wet ball play. I discovered that it was a wee bit more challenging than I first thought. Its like trying to walk in wet peanut butter.  So the other side sent a preponderance of their shots to me so I could "practice" they said.  A good many laughs were had at my expense by both teams. Wait till tomorrow....
I participated in The Las Pasadas celebration that I told you about in the previous blog. This reenactment tradition goes back to Spain in the 1500s when St. Ignatius Loyola suggested that special prayers be offered on nine consecutive nights before Christmas.. In 1580s a religious pageant was made out of those prayers and the Spanish missionaries in Mexico used the pageant to help Indian converts come to understand the story of the nativity.  In time this celebration became part of the folk life of the common people in private homes and community life. Following the pageant is when the food is laid out abundantly and the games and festivities begin, often with a piñata at the end. The finale of the Las Posadas ends on Christmas Eve with the "Misa de Gallo" or "Midnight Mass" followed by the 12 days of Christmas.
I walked, sang and celebrated with my fellow church goers. I also ate many of the tamales I had help prepare the day before. It was a Holy and good time for all.
Being close to the University, the church here has an orchestra and a choir. I expect the Christmas Eve service, with candle lightening, special music and Holy Eucharist, to also be an unforgettable event.
I took the opportunity to head to South Padre Island on one of our 80 degree days. I drove to the end of the road and then walked for an hour heading North along the beach. You can drive the shore here but I am a little leery of getting the heavy one ton stuck.  So barefoot in the sand I walk the shoreline while the waters lap over my ankles. The sun is warm and the wind is cool to my skin. The mixture of the winds, sounds of the surf and frequent crying of the shore birds are my constant company.  Every now and then a surf fisherman would drive by me heading to some favorite remote spot. With a wave and a smile they would share the road with me and be off.
I reflect on where I am at this time in my life.   I am at peace. I am healthy. I realize that I do have many blessings of children and grandchildren. I love and in return am loved. I am humbled by this creation that I walk in and its Creator. In a very short time we will celebrate the coming of Christ. It is a time of happiness and of hope.  My wish for you my friends and family is for "A Very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!"



 PPS...

On the way home I celebrated my glorious day at the beach with an appropriate offering...beer and gulf oysters...Yummy!







3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your participation in the Las Pasadas activities, Chip, and your day at South Padre Island sounds great. You are right that we have many blessings to be thankful for. Merry Christmas to you and all of your family and friends. DS

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..And a great New Year is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a wonderful year full of the blessings of peace, health, happiness, and prosperity for everyone in 2011! DS

    ReplyDelete